Sharon's Muse.... Let's chat over coffee while I ponder some things

About Me


My Meez

   



Recent Entries



Archives



Personal


Interesting Sites



RAINE'S BLUES


GOLD MOUNTAIN


AGAIN


In Stores


Watch mini trailer


Clip of places featured in Again

Need Flashplayer to view. Give time to load.



TOOL & BAD BOYS



Short, Short Ebooks

Wednesday, January 17, 2007



All I have to say is "Wow!"

I'm almost rendered speechless (almost) by the caption I read today at Salon's Daou Report (which I usually make a fair effort to avoid as not to elevate my blood pressure). But I just had to comment on the following:

Rightwing radio host calls civil rights a "racket" - Michael Savage says civil rights has "become a con ... to exploit primarily heterosexual, Christian, white males' birthright" -- Media Matters chronicles yet another example of the hate that pollutes America's airwaves: "On the January 15 edition of his nationally syndicated radio show, in a monologue about Martin Luther King Day, Michael Savage called "civil rights" a "con" and asserted: "It's a racket that is used to exploit primarily heterosexual, Christian, white males' birthright and steal from them what is their birthright and give it to people who didn't qualify for it." Savage then said, "Take a guess out of whose hide all of these rights are coming. ... [T]here is only one group that is targeted, and that group are white, heterosexual males." He added: "They are the new witches being hunted by the illiberal left using the guise of civil rights and fairness to women and whatnot."

The only thing I can agree with Savage in this respect is that the concept of giving a group of people codified civil rights is a travesty, but not for the racist, homophobic, sexist reasons he espouses. My beef with civil rights is that these rights had to be carved out for a segment of society who should have NEVER been disallowed them in the first place. "All men are created EQUAL" (and, of course, I include WOMEN in there, also). Worthy concept. Unfortunate that the founding white fathers who spoke them found ways to rob human beings of their human and civil rights by denying them their full humanity, thus alleviating any conscience-tugging that might have bothered them.

So here are my questions: Why should I need amendments to enjoy the right not to be enslaved, to enjoy the full opportunities that a paler citizen enjoys? And yet I do. Why should it have to be codified that I not be physically attacked for the color of my skin or the genitalia I'm equipped with, or what I do with that genitalia? Why do I need legislation that says I should be able to vote like men do and get paid equally?

So who were the con-men and who were the trully exploited? Can Savage quantify the diminishment of white male heterosexual lives since blacks were given (BACK) the human and civil rights that never should have been taken in the first place? Because I can definitely illustrate the diminution of the lives of Africans since white male heterosexuals first graced African shores.

Labels: , ,


Sharon Cullars Coffee Talk at 1/17/2007 09:58:00 AM Permanent Link     | | Home

---------------oOo---------------


Layout Design by Hajira Thanks to:Getty Images BlogspotBlogskins